Mathematics Faculty Handbook

A-Z Index

Getting Started

Welcome to the UC Santa Cruz Mathematics Department. Below is a brief sketch of the benefits and services available to you as an employee of the University, and some useful information about the Department. Please visit our Department website (listed above) to get the most up-to-date information available. Or, come by the Department Office during our regular business hours: 9:00 am-12:00 pm and 1:00-3:30 pm, Monday through Friday.

Back to top

Reference Materials

Important UCSC reference materials include:

Reference materials listed above are available at the links provided. Please let us know if you have any trouble accessing them online.

Back to top

Department Offices

The Mathematics Office located at McHenry Building 4111 maintains office hours from 9:00 am-12:00 pm and 1:00-3:30 pm. The lunch hour from 12:00 to 1:00 pm is not part of the staff workday. The first work hour of the morning and the last hour of the afternoon are set aside for staff members to process their mounds of paperwork and email without frequent interruption. Please respect this time and plan to utilize staff services only during open office hours.

Back to top

Using Your Office


The Mathematics Department issues office keys. Keys can be obtained during our normal open hours, 9:00 am-12:00 pm and 1:00-3:30 pm Monday - Friday. The Physical and Biological Sciences Division distributes building keys. Their office hours are 10:00 am-12:00 pm Monday - Friday (Physical Sciences Building - Room 214). There is a $40 charge for each lost or unreturned key. Keys for visitor offices will be provided after a Visitor Space Request Form has been completed.

Back to top


The Mathematics Department provides basic office supplies. If you need something, supplies are located in the silver filing cabinet next to the flamingo in the Mathematics Department Office and in the large cabinent in the Computer Lab. There should be a supply of frequently used items, such as envelopes and letterhead. If these supplies are running low please ask the person at the front desk and they will get them for you.

Back to top


Your office contains a phone with an answering machine that the Department has set up for you. The instruction book is taped to the bottom of the phone should you need it. The seven-digit on-campus phone numbers all start with either 459 or 502. To make an on-campus call, dial the last five digits. To make an off-campus call, dial 6, then the number.

Back to top

Mail Services

Faculty mailboxes are located in the hallway on the 4th floor of the Mathematics Department, directly across from the Faculty Kitchen. Mail bags for the Department are located in the hall outside the main office. The mail is delivered and picked up between 9-9:30 am, Monday -  Friday. Should you need to send work-related mail out either in regular mail or intercampus mail, the mailbags are available to you in the Mathematics Department Office. The red bag is for campus mail and the blue bag is for postal mail. It is important that you use the correct mail stop when sending mail on campus. Mailing supplies are also available to you in the Math Department office. FedEx/ UPS/ etc. deliveries are made to the Mathematics Department Office (4111) and will be placed in your mailboxes by the front desk staff. If you need something you can't find, please ask a Mathematics staff member.

The Department address is:

University of California Santa Cruz
Mathematics Department
1156 High Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95064

University policy prohibits using the campus mail system for personal mail.

For all personal mail, please go to the self service Postal Kiosk in the first floor of the Bay Tree Bookstore. You can send out letters and packages, and buy postage. Mail is picked up daily, Monday through Friday at 1pm.

During the summer, mail will be delivered to all faculty mailboxes at the regular time (this includes regular and visiting faculty). 

The Department will also forward first-class mail for visiting faculty who have completed their appointment. You may request this service when you complete your Mathematics Department Leave Checklist, which is available in the Department Office. Again, this service is restricted to first-class envelopes being re-directed within the United States. Forwarding will discontinue after six months.

Back to top

Fax Machine

Fax Number: (831) 459-4511

The fax machine is located in the Computer Lab, McHenry room 4170. Remember that you must dial 6 before entering the number you wish to send a fax to if it is outside the UCSC network. For numbers outside the U.S., dial 6-011-country code-area code-phone number. Place documents face down in the carrier. Press Start/Copy. Please log all faxes and calls on the form provided next to the machine. There is a mailing envelop containing cover sheets on the wall to the left of the fax machine. Please inform the front desk staff when cover sheets are low.

Back to top

Updating Your Campus Directory Profile

You can update your Campus Directory Profile through the directory website. On the directory website search for your profile. On your profile page scroll to the bottom and click on the link “edit this entry”.  This link takes you to a sign in page. Enter your CruzID and Gold Password and click “Sign In”.  Once you are signed in you can edit your directory information. You can save the changes you make to your profile by scrolling to the bottom of this page and clicking “Save and Continue Editing” or “Save and View Entry”.   

Back to top

Visitor Space Requests and Courtesy Research Appointments

We have a limited number of offices for faculty visitors. Offices are reserved on a first-come, first serve basis. Mathematics faculty wishing to reserve an office for their visitor must complete the Visitor Space Request Form. Please note that faculty requesting space for a research appointment, must send a letter, addressed to the Chair, requesting the appointment. This letter should address the dates and purpose of the visit and explain why the individual should be extended research privileges (library, internet access etc.). A c.v. from the individual in question must be included, and the Chair’s approval is required. The PBSci Dean’s approval must be secured for courtesy research appointments. Requests requiring a visa will require a minimum of 16 weeks prior to the program start date!!!! These visa request files must be processed by the Department, PBSci Division and ISS staff and it all requires time.

Back to top

Physical and Biological Sciences Business Office

The Physical and Biological Sciences Business Office is currently located on the Fourth Floor of the Physical Science Building, and is open from 8:00 am-12:00 pm and 1:00-5:00 pm. Carey Odden can be reached at 459-3433 or

Physical and Biological Sciences Academic Personnel/Payroll Unit

Academic Personnel/Payroll is located on the Fifth Floor of the Physical Science Building, and is open from 8:00 am-12:00 pm and 1:00-5:00 pm. Kristin Mott is in room 514 and can be reached at 459-2222 or

Back to top

Identification Card

A PBSci Business Office representative will issue you a UCSC Identification Card. This card may be taken to McHenry Library or to the Science Library to be laminated and provided with a bar-code so that it may be used as a library card. You can use your ID card to check out books from the campus libraries, and you will need your ID number periodically for campus-related business.

Back to top

Employment Eligibility Verification

In accordance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, you will be required to provide documentation of your eligibility to work. To get the confirmation of your employment, go to Just login and see on the right side of the screen, under Income and Taxes, they have an employment verification form that you can print yourself.

Back to top

Payday and Direct Deposit

Paychecks arrive on the 1st of the month and are available after 1:00pm. If the 1st falls on a weekend, payday is the Friday before. You should expect your first check no sooner than four weeks from your date of hire. We highly recommend that you have your paychecks deposited directly to your bank account. Direct Deposit usually begins one pay cycle after you apply. Follow the steps outlined here At Your Service for Direct Deposit.

Some advantages of Direct Deposit are:
Your earnings statement (pay stub) is available online three days prior to payday, and is viewable by computer browsers and most smartphones;
Delays due to lost or misrouted paper checks are eliminated;
Better for the environment as paper for checks and envelopes is not used; and
Saves a trip to the bank or ATM

Be sure to check with the business office (9-2662) if your deposit is late.

Payroll will not process your paycheck without a Social Security number. If you are not a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident, you must obtain a Social Security number before you can receive a check. The business office representative for Mathematics will tell you how to do so. When you apply for your Social Security number, be sure to request a receipt and bring it to the Mathematics Department as soon as possible.

Back to top


For information on medical coverage options and costs, contact Kristin Mott (459-2222; or see Academic Personnel ( Especially on this Academic Personnel webpage - see UCOP At Your Service. You may attend a new employee benefits orientation, scheduled regularly throughout the year.

International Scholar and Student Services

New international researchers and professors are advised to schedule an appointment with International Scholar and Student Services (9-3550) soon after their arrival. Topics covered include:

  • visas, limits of stay, and government requirements and benefits for scholars and their family members
  • health insurance
  • work in the U.S.
  • travel abroad and reentry
  • referrals to campus or community resources for housing, banking, and other concerns

Back to top


Faculty Housing (458-3506) is located at Hagar Court. You must fill out an application to get on the waiting list. The Community Rentals Office/Off-Campus Housing, located in 104 Hahn (9-4435), has rental listings and advising for the university area.

Back to top


You can purchase parking permits, bus passes, and commuter programs from the Transportation and Parking Services (TAPS) Office located in the H Barn adjacent to the University Police. Office hours are 7:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday - Friday. Find more information at the website listed above or call TAPS at 9-2190.

Back to top

Recreational Facilities

Programs offered by the Office of Physical Education, Recreation and Sports (OPERS) are available to you as a member of the campus community for a reasonable fee or Phone OPERS at 9-2531.

Back to top


Printers for Faculty and Graduate Students are located in the Computer Lab, McHentry Room 4170. When printing, please select one of the two printers (June or August). You may need to install/reinstall a driver on your computer in order to receive printer options. Please Contact IT (Ramon Berger) for help, if needed. Printouts from these printers cost nearly a dollar a page. If you need several copies of a printout, please print just one copy of your material, then make copies.

Back to top

Copy Center

The UCSC Copy Center also houses Professor Publishing. The Copy center offers printing services for: Course Readers, Exams, Syllabi, and Course Handouts. The Copy Center is located next to the post office in J Baskin Engineering, Room 25. You may drop off an order in person or email your documents to:

The copy center will deliver copies that you order. You will have to indicate that you would like it delivered in your email along with your instructions of how you want your copy job completed, i.e., back to back, yellow paper, etc. They require that you give them 3-4 days in advance. Your delivery will come via the campus mail (arrives between 9:00am and 9:30am Monday - Thursday) so if this time frame does not work for you then you will need to pick them up. Be sure you check that you have received the correct number of copies—there have been shortages.

Back to top

Photocopiers & Copy Cards

There is a copy machine for faculty use located across from the mail boxes. Log in with the first part of your email address (before the @) and the last 4 digits of your UCSC id number in order to make copies. The only account set up right now is for faculty instructional copies. Please provide Gina Hernan with an account number (foapal) for copies not associated with instruction e.g., research copies to load into the machine. Log in . Please contact Gina Hernan ( or staff within the Department Office with any printer or copier malfunctions. Be sure to observe all copyright rules and regulations when using text materials that are protected by copyright.

Back to top

Computer Support

Your office has a computer workstation with word processing, network, and email capability. You also have access to the machines and printers in the Computational Mathematics Laboratory (CML). If you have problems with these computers or printers, send an email request to and copy Gina Hernan ( If you are unable to use email, please ask a staff member to contact Information Technology Services (ITS) on your behalf.

In your email please include:

  • your first and last name
  • your location (building and office number or lab) and phone number
  • the type of computer you have: Mac, Windows, or UNIX
  • the operating system version: Mac OS X, Windows 98, etc.
  • a detailed description of the problem, including error messages, error codes, etc.

You can generally expect a phone call or email contact from a member of the group within one working day, although fixing the problem may take longer. In the event of a severe emergency, such as a Department server crash, contact the Department Office to request help by phone.

For information regarding computer support services, equipment, standards, and policies, please see the ITS Service Catalog at

Back to top

Computational Mathematics Laboratory (CML)

The CML, located in McHenry Room 4170, is available to all Departmental faculty and graduate students, and to selected undergraduate students. The door to the lab should remain locked at all times. You will be issued a key at the beginning of the Academic Year. Equipment and software in the lab are listed on a flyer posted inside the lab. Please be sure to observe all copyright rules and regulations when using text materials that are protected by copyright.

Back to top

Computer Use Policies

It is the policy of the University of California to provide computer resources to students, faculty, and staff, to be used in ways that are consistent with the University's mission—instruction, research, and public service—and in activities that support that mission, such as administration. These resources include computers, terminals, networks, and printers.

It is the policy of the University to provide its users with access to local, national, and international sources of information in an atmosphere that encourages sharing of information, access to a rich collection of services, and open and free discussion.

The University expects that its user community will respect the public trust through which these resources have been provided. The work and efforts of the user community should not be subject to unauthorized disclosure, tampering, destruction, theft, or harassment, nor should there be a denial of access to resources.

The University grants permission to members of its community to use computer resources by issuing individual email accounts. As a condition of receiving such an account, the user must exercise diligence to keep his or her password confidential and not disclose it to any other person. Users of shared computers or networks that connect to the campus network should not share or transfer their account privileges to any other person.

The Mathematics Department provides email aliases for dissemination of information related to Department business or to Mathematics in general. People working or studying within the Department are required to be included on these lists, and the lists must not be used as a means of compelling faculty, staff, or students to deal with email unrelated to the Department.

Back to top


Course Standards

Please note that the Faculty Code of Conduct, APM - 015 clearly delineates the expectations listed below as faculty responsibilities:
  • Meeting classes. If, for any reason, you are not meeting with a class, you must follow the policy for leave requests (see below), or in the case of sudden illness, notify the Department as soon as possible (please speak directly to a staff member; do not leave voicemail).
  • Posting and keeping regular office hours open to students without prior appointment throughout the quarter. Office hours should be given to the Department Office during the first week of instruction each quarter. They are to be held at least twice a week, for more than one hour, and scheduled at different time slots. Office hours should be held a minimum of 3 hours a week if two courses are being taught in the same quarter. Instructors should also be available by appointment throughout the quarter whether or not they are teaching a course (see leave policy below).
  • Holding examinations as scheduled by the Registrar and listed in the Schedule of Classes. See This for more information about scheduling, standard examination substitutes (including take home exams and other variations), alternate examinations (for religious or disability related reasons), and exam retention policies. Please note that campus policy explicitly states: "No final examinations, test, or significant quizzes, other than laboratory exams or makeup exams, may be given during the last week of instruction." It is the instructor's responsibility to administer and monitor exams—not the teaching assistant's. Provide copies of all exams to the Department.
  • Evaluating student work (with grades and evaluations) in a timely manner, including submitting narrative evaluations directly to NES.
  • Ensuring that grades directly reflect course performance.

Department staff cannot assume any obligation for faculty performance of these duties. If you fail to meet prescribed deadlines for delivering office hours, course reports, grades, and the like, Department personnel are not responsible for mitigating the results. See the Course Information section for further course requirements.

Back to top

Academic Personnel (

Department Voting Policy (May 17, 1983)
Bylaw 55 Voting Practices updated May 30, 2003

  • Academic Personnel Actions: Assistant, Associate, and Full Professors can vote on any personnel action. Updated procedures have been established for Faculty Academic Personnel Actions, including an earlier summer deadline for submission of materials. Inquire at the Department for more information.
  • Recruiting: Assistant, Associate, and Full Professors have voting privileges.

Vote Definitions

Back to top

Absence From Campus or Class

Academic-year appointees are expected to be present from the beginning of the fall quarter through the end of the spring quarter; any appointee returning after the beginning of the fall quarter or leaving before the end of the spring quarter should apply for a leave of absence in accordance with the sections outlined in APM - 700 - 0 see link above. This is the link for the Faculty Leave Request Form. If you plan on leaving campus at any time during the academic year, excluding academic holidays, for any reason, personal or professional, a leave of absence must be requested and/or discussed with the Chair well in advance of formalizing any plans.

It is important that you make arrangements for course instruction to continue despite your absence and regardless of the reason. Finding a replacement instructor is preferred. Rescheduling classes is possible but not recommended, since it imposes on students. Canceling classes is not acceptable faculty conduct. In all instances, you are responsible for notifying students and the Department by informing them directly of your upcoming absence and the arrangements you have made, and for posting notices of the change.

The Regents and the President have established specific regulations on certain types of leaves of absence. Types of leave include sick leave, family and medical leave, parental leave, among others. As an example, leave to attend professional meetings or for University business is approved by the:

  1. Chair (for leaves of 15 calendar days or less)
  2. Dean (for leaves of 16 calendar days to 12 months)
  3. Executive Vice Chancellor (for leaves beyond 12 months)

Therefore, please submit your personal or professional leave request to the Chair through the Department Manager at least 30 days before departure in order to obtain the required approvals (does not apply to sudden illness). If the leave is to attend a professional meeting or for University business and is for more than 15 days, the rules in Sections 758 and 759 of the Academic Personnel Manual may apply. The EVC retains authority for exceptions to policy.

While you are on an extended leave, the Math Department may need to assign another instructor to your office. Before leaving, please: complete the Department's Leave Checklist and return it to the Department Office; clear your voicemail and give the Department your password, so your phone can be set up for the instructor using your office; give the Department instructions for forwarding your first-class mail and leave a phone number, email address, and physical address where you can be reached if necessary; remove or box-up your personal items; tidy the space around the desk, computer space, and some drawers. It is essential that you leave a functional workspace.

Back to top


The Academic Assessment Grievance Committee now has a website.

Back to top

Student Privacy Rights

The disclosure of information from student records is governed by the Federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and, in part, by the State of California Education Code. For additional information, see "Privacy of Records" in The Navigator or For the "Quick Reference" to UCSC Policy on Privacy of Student Records, go to:

Posting student ID numbers, names, grades, and/or assigned discussion sections or labs is a violation of FERPA. Student ID numbers, grades, and sections are confidential information. It is no longer acceptable to post even a partial student ID number or social security number. Please go to for a complete list of confidential and non-confidential information.

Back to top

Guidelines for Addressing Disruptive Students

The guidelines listed on this site are for instructors interested in taking disciplinary action in the case of an excessively disruptive student. The site includes an incident report form to be filed with the Campus Judicial Officer.

Back to top

Travel Information/Financial Services page

The time period allowed to submit a travel expense reimbursement request [to the FAST office] to avoid the possibility of the reimbursement being considered taxable income to the traveler is 45 calendar days from the completion of travel.

Important UC Travel Policy Update - Effective 7/1/13

Pre-trip travel guide is located at

Airline Tickets: Travelers are encouraged to use Connexus which combines discounts thru UC negotiated contracts and assists UCSC travelers in complying with UC Policy. Connexus can be accessed at this site.

Address for accountants to send post-travel forms to listed FAST address and frequently used FAST forms and related policies:

Transportation: Only the most economical means of transportation maybe charged to University funds. Transportation should be reserved in advance so favorable rates can be obtained.

Back to top


UC Lodging Policy Update – Effective 10/15/17: The maximum daily lodging expense reimbursement rate will be $275, excluding taxes and mandatory fees, for travel within the continental US.

Back to top

Mileage Reimbursement Rates

The reimbursement rate for employee-owned automobiles (effective 1/1/19) is $0.58 per mile. 

Standard Mileage Reimbursement (round trip)
San Francisco International Airport $80.00
San Jose International Airport $39.00
Oakland International Airport $75.00

Daily Meals and Incidentals Reimbursement Rate (click here)

UC Daily Meals and Incidentals Policy Update – Effective 10/15/17: MAXIMUM DAILY REIMBURSEMENT HAS BEEN REDUCED. Maximum daily reimbursement for meals and incidentals, for domestic travel, will decrease from $74 to $62.

  • One Day Travel: reimbursement of travel meal and incidental expenses for business trips less than 24 hours is allowable only if an overnight stay is involved. 
  • One to Thirty Day Travel: One to thirty day travel is defined as travel that is more than one day but less than thirty days. meals and incidentals will be reimbursed for one to thirty day travel up to $62.00/day.

Incidental Expenses: Incidental expenses include laundry, cleaning and pressing of clothes, tips and fees for services, e.g. waiters and baggage handlers.

For details on UCSC Travel Policies:

Back to top

Meal (Entertainment) Reimbursements*

UC Meeting/Entertainment Policy Update - Effective 4/13/15: SHORTENED BUSINESS MEETING/ENTERTAINMENT EXPENSE REIMBURSEMENT FORM SUBMISSION TIMEFRAME. The time period allowed to submit a business meeting/entertainment expense reimbursement form [to the FAST office] to avoid the possibility of the reimbursement being considered taxable income to the person being reimbursed, has been reduced from 60 to 45 calendar days from the date of expense incurrence or payment. The change was made to better align UC policy with IRS regulations related to the taxability of an employee expense reimbursement.

PBSci Divisional policy states "No meal reimbursement when seminar or colloquium speaker is faculty local to UCSC Campus (from host department or other department)".

Divisional policy mandates that "All expenses must be supported by original itemized receipts"  (note: a credit card receipt with the total is not sufficient). Requests received without an itemized receipt will be returned to the requestor.

If you request an itemized receipt and the restaurant is unable to provide one, note on the receipt that you requested one and the restaurant said they could not provide it. The Physical and Biological Sciences Division maintains a list of restaurants that cannot provide itemized receipts and will contact others for verification of their policy as they receive reimbursement forms.

Maximum Rates for Entertainment: The maximum per person expenditures for individuals being entertained and for an University employee who is the official host, or who is a participant at the request of the official host, shall not exceed the following amounts per PBSci Divisional Policy:

  • Breakfast: $27.00
  • Lunch: $47.00
  • Dinner: $81.00
  • *Light Refreshments $19.00

*The Department does not reimburse expenses for alcohol or light refreshments except in the case of faculty recruitments and events that have had PRIOR approval from the Chair and the Dean of Physical & Biological Sciences.

Mathematics Department Tip/Gratuity Guidelines
- The Departmental limit for a meal gratuity that is to be charged against University funds must not exceed 20% of the post-tax meal total.
- The 20% gratuity limit applies to all reimbursements and University purchase orders. The payer or host must cover any gratuity above 20%.
- Mandatory gratuity: some restaurants include gratuity automatically with the bill and it is often included with parties of six or more individuals. The 20% gratuity limit IS INCLUSIVE OF a mandatory gratuity.

Two quick ways to calculate gratuity:
1) Double the tax
Santa Cruz sales tax = 8.75% x 2 = 17.50%
2) Find 10% and then double
$25.00 x 0.10 = 2.50 x 2 = $5.00 = 20%

Information that must be received for meal and refreshment-related expense reimbursements*:

  • **Original itemized receipt for ALL entertainment reimbursements.
  • What: Announcement/Brochure/E-mail or Website describing the event in detail. Description needs to be more than just “lunch” or “reception” e.g., dinner for guest speaker Prof.  John Smith.
  • Why: Business purpose of the event. Every UCSC-hosted event or activity must have a direct, substantial University business purpose
  • Who: Per University policy, the guest list, or the equivalent that includes name, affiliation & title/position of ALL attendees/participants including the host must be included with the reimbursement request.
  • Where: Event location
  • When: Day and time

*For details on UCSC Expense Policies:

**For details on PBSci Specific Guidelines for Entertainment and Other Reimbursements:

Back to top

Alcohol at University-Sponsored Events

The Alcohol Policy for UCSC Sponsored Events can be reviewed at:

Effective Immediately: In conjunction with the EVC's Office and the Campus Police an alcohol permit is currently no longer required for events where alcohol is served on campus (1/13/12).

Campus Police Requirements: For an event on campus where alcohol is being served, Campus Police must be notified at for all events with 50 or more participants.

Campus Police may advise the event or meeting host, facility manager, certifier, and/or other organizers of potential safety management issues. Event held on UCSC premises for which campus police are needed to provide security (Submit completed Security Request/Event Notification Form to the campus police two weeks in advance of the event or meeting)

Guide Link: Entertainment Event Expense Guide.

Policy Link: Campus Alcoholic Beverage Policy for UCSC Sponsored Events.

Questions can be directed to

Back to top

Procedure for Requesting Funding from the Department

Nature of the Request
State your request clearly in the first paragraph. Who are you? What is it you are requesting; that is, what is the money for? When is it? Where is it?

Background and Rationale
Describe the context for your proposal and its nature. Include goals and any specific needs you have identified, explaining how the endeavor relates to them. What is the justification for funding?

Impact on Teaching and Learning
Include any integration with departmental or programmatic benefits or improvements. Why is it important? How will this benefit the Department? What's the return on the investment?

Detailed Budget
A thoroughly researched budget is required for every proposal with a line-by-line breakdown of projected expenditures. Be accurate and realistic. Please include all costs and cite your sources for any budgeted wages, supplies or equipment prices. Remember to add 15% to the cost of materials to cover tax and shipping. You are strongly encouraged to seek matching funds from other sources whenever possible. Be sure to list them.

Deadline and Submission
Submit proposals to Michelle Dohl ( electronically and in a timely manner (at least 30 days before the money is needed).

Back to top

University Smoking Policy

The smoking policy prohibits smoking in outside areas next to building doorways, windows, and ventilation air intakes. No smoking in offices is allowed. The new smoking policy was enacted to protect the health of sensitive individuals and preserve the right of the nonsmoker to breathe clean air. Please see Environmental Health & Safety for more information on this topic.

Back to top

UCSC Principles of Community

"We are a community living and learning together. Certainly, we cannot expect to always agree with each other on every matter. Yet, we must unfailingly demonstrate respect, tolerance and patience in our communications." (M.R.C. Greenwood, Chancellor April 24, 2000)

The University of California, Santa Cruz is committed to promoting and protecting an environment that values and supports every person in an atmosphere of civility, honesty, cooperation, professionalism and fairness.

UCSC expects that every campus member will practice these Principles of Community.

We strive to be:

  • Diverse: We embrace diversity in all its forms and we strive for an inclusive community that fosters an open, enlightened and productive environment.
  • Open: We believe free exchange of ideas requires mutual respect and consideration for our differences.
  • Purposeful: We are a participatory community united by shared commitments to: service to society; preservation and advancement of knowledge; and innovative teaching and learning.
  • Caring: We promote mutual respect, trust and support to foster bonds that strengthen the community.
  • Just: We are committed to due process, respect for individual dignity and equitable access to resources, recognition and rewards.
  • Disciplined: We seek to advance common goals through reasonable and realistic practices, procedures and expectations.
  • Celebrative: We celebrate the heritage, achievements and diversity of the community and the uniqueness and contributions of our members.

We accept the responsibility to pursue these principles in an atmosphere of personal and intellectual freedom, security, respect, civility and mutual support.

UCSC is committed to enforcement of policies that promote the fulfillment of our principles of community. These policies include but are not limited to: University of California Personnel Policies for Staff Members; applicable University Collective Bargaining Agreements; Academic Personnel Manual O15-University of California Policy on Faculty Conduct and the Administration of Discipline; UCSC Policy on Student Conduct and Discipline; UCSC Sex Offense Policy; UCSC Hate Bias Incident Policy. For further information or inquiries, contact the Directors of Academic and Staff Human Resources; Director of EEO/Affirmative Action Office; Director, Student Judicial Affairs; Sexual Harassment Officer; and Campus Ombudsman.

The UCSC Principles of Community statement was developed under the aegis of the Campus Welfare Committee, with broad campus consultation, and was endorsed by the Provost's Advisory Council and the Chancellor in June 2001. In the fall of the 2001-02 academic year, the CWC will undertake implementation plans in collaboration with faculty, staff, and students campus wide. 7/31/01

Conflict Resolution Help

The Director of Conflict Resolution Services is Nancy Heischman, or 9-2290

The Service provides professional consultation, mediation, and training to members of the UCSC community. Services are free, voluntary and confidential. Faculty and staff alike have found these services to be very useful: Faculty Comments on Campus Conflict Resolution Services. Here are some suggestions for Preventing and Managing Conflict in the Classroom.

Back to top

Sexual Harassment -

Title IX / Sexual Harassment Office:  or 9-2462

The Title IX Officer is available to provide information, advice, and referrals; to investigate complaints; and to coordinate informal resolutions for any student, faculty, or staff. The UCSC Sexual Harassment Complaint Form can be found online at or from any university official.

Students, faculty, and staff have the right to work and learn free from unwanted sexual advances. Advances made by faculty toward students or by supervisors toward subordinates unfairly exploit the power inherent in those relationships. Unwelcome sexual conduct between students interferes with the ability to participate in and benefit from University programs. In both obvious and subtle ways, the very possibility of sexual assault or harassment can be deeply destructive to individual members of our community and can poison their academic and career relationships. Members of our University community have the right to work and learn in an environment that is free from verbal or physical sexual conduct which might either interfere with an individual's performance, or create a work or educational climate that is hostile, intimidating, or offensive, whether that conduct originates with an instructor, a supervisor, or a peer.

UCSC Sex Offense Policy

UCSC Sexual Harassment Online Procedure

Back to top

Student-Faculty Relationships

The UCSC Academic Senate's Resolution On Romantic Relationships states that even a single advance to a student by an academic appointee, whether or not the advance is welcomed, invited, or rebuffed, must be regarded by the academic community as a serious breach of professional ethics and proper standards of professional behavior.

UCSC Academic Senate Resolution on Romantic Relationships, adopted 5/20/87, amended 5/12/88
Title IX, Higher Education Amendments of 1972, enacted July 23, 1972
California Penal Code Section 261 et seq.
Title VII, Civil Rights Act of 1964

Back to top


Faculty Course Information

For help and questions from the Registrar:

Every quarter, for each class that you teach, please supply the Department Office with:

  • syllabus
  • any reading or homework lists
  • midterm(s)
  • finals
  • office hours

For policies regarding absence from campus or class (Leaves of Absence), see below.

Back to top

Course Enrollment

Students enroll online at If your students have questions about enrolling, please refer them to the Registrar's website, A student must meet all course prerequisites or have prerequisites waived by the Mathematics Undergraduate Vice Chair to enroll in a mathematics course. A student who has met the requirements for the course and still has difficulty enrolling should contact the Registrar (459-4412).

FAQs for Faculty provides help with:

  • MyUCSC/AIS Access and Support
  • Class Rosters
  • Enrollment
  • Evaluations
  • Grading
  • Privacy of Student Records
  • Personal Information 

Back to top

Mathematics Placement (New in AY 2015-16!)

Students must take the Mathematics Placement Assessment (MP) if they have not met the prerequisites for a UCSC mathematics class through a course at another institution or by scoring 3 or better on an Advanced Placement (AP) Calculus Exam. The MP places a student into Math 2, 3, 11A, 19A, or 20A. The Physical & Biological Sciences Division administers the MP Assessment and their website outlines the various options for placement:    

Mathematics assessment is in ALEKS—an online assessment, learning and knowledge platform. ALEKS provides mathematics instruction—students can use the learning modules in ALEKS to work towards improving their course placement. Scores are usually posted daily, Monday through Friday. More information regarding the ALEKS program and mathematics preparation can be found at the Math Coach infosite. Contact for more specific questions.

Back to top

UCSC Extension Open Campus/Concurrent Enrollment

Students who are not enrolled in the university can take regular university classes through the Open Campus/Concurrent Enrollment Program offered by UC Extension. This option is subject to the instructor's approval and space availability in the class. To contact UC Extension, see their webpage at or call (408) 861-3700.

Near the end of the quarter, you will receive a grade sheet for concurrent enrollment students enrolled in your classes. Please read the instructions carefully, and return grade sheets to UC Extension in a timely manner.

Back to top

Permission Numbers

Mathematics Department’s Permission Number Policy 2017 
  • Students in need of a permission number for lack of a prerequisite or for other reasons must use the Enrollment Request & Permission Number Form (the link is located on the lower right of the Mathematics Department web page.) 
  • Faculty who are asked for a permission number should direct students to use this form. 
  • After the seventh day of instruction, permission numbers are required to enroll in a class even if a student has met all the prerequisites. Faculty will be consulted on whether students not meeting prerequisites should be given a permission number for their course.
  • The Enrollment Request & Permission Number Form is monitored by the Undergraduate  Advisor and decisions about permission codes will be made by the Undergraduate Advisor and the Undergraduate Vice Chair as quickly as possible.
Graduate permission numbers are issued by the Graduate Program Coordinator, Jen Corr, in the Mathematics Department.  Email:  Undergraduates/Graduates interested in taking a Graduate Course must obtain the permission of the instructor before permission codes will be provided, please contact Jen Correia.

Final Exam Administration & Scheduling


Final Exam Policy resides at the Registrar's website and is posted in the Schedule of Classes. An excerpt is provided below regarding scheduling.

The Mathematics Department posts an unofficial final exam schedule for Mathematics Courses, however, be sure to verify the time and date with the Schedule of Classes.


Excerpt from the Office of the Registrar: Final Examination Policies

Final examinations are required in all undergraduate courses unless the department or other agency sponsoring the course has obtained permission from the Committee on Educational Policy to evaluate students in another manner. Final examinations are only given during the examination-week period at the time announced in the Schedule of Classes, usually in the same room used for class meetings during the quarter. No change in the time or date of a final examination may occur unless the course sponsoring agency has obtained the approval of the Committee on Educational Policy (CEP). Requests must be received by CEP not later than the first week of the quarter in which the course is occurring. Completion or submission of final examinations or papers for undergraduate courses is not allowed during the regular term’s period of instruction, including the closed week before final examinations. When finals are administered (not during week 10), they must be completed at the scheduled examination time and may not require more than the scheduled three-hour time block. If a take-home examination is not assigned until the week designated for final examinations, it cannot require more than three hours to complete.

Back to top

Narrative Evaluations (Instructor Optional)

Undergraduates who receive credit (a grade of A, B, C, D, or Pass) in a course, and graduate students may receive an evaluation of performance that is part of the official transcript. An evaluation may:

  • describe the strengths and weaknesses of a student's performance in the various areas of class activity (discussion, laboratory work, term papers, examinations)
  • assess a student's general understanding of the course content
  • allow recognition of additional or particularly outstanding work

Narrative evaluations are to be written and submitted to NES by faculty only. (Please see below for more information on Teaching Assistant duties and responsibilities.) UCSC uses narrative evaluations in academic advising, reviewing scholarship applications, and awarding college honors and honors in the major. Evaluations are a permanent part of students' academic records and appear as part of the official UCSC transcript (unless you receive an F, NP, or W).

The Registrar's Office provides assistance to faculty interested in using MS-Excel and MS-Word software programs to simplify and reduce the amount of time spent tracking student assessment and writing evaluations. You may contact the Evaluations Consultant Rebecca Peet at 9-1573 or

Grade Assignments and AIS

To access class and grade rosters, go to and enter your login and password. If you are unsure of what your AIS login and password are, please contact AIS help at Check the academic calendar for when grades are due:

Grading Options

When a student enrolls in a class, a letter grade is now the default grading option. However, undergraduates may choose to take a class Pass/No Pass, or graduate students at the time they enroll may choose Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory; however it is not recommended for graduate students to elect to take Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grade if they will be applying for Fellowships/Awards or Post Doc positions.  Satisfactory grades are not accepted when a GPA is requested. Students can change their option choice up until the end of the third week of the quarter. Undergraduates enrolled in a course for a letter grade will receive a grade of: A+, A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, F, W (Withdraw), I (Incomplete), or IP (In Progress). Undergraduates enrolled in a course Pass/No Pass will receive a grade of P (Pass), NP (No Pass), W (Withdraw), I (Incomplete), or IP (In Progress).

Note that for undergraduates, "C" is a passing grade, whereas for graduate students, "C" is NOT a passing grade. This means that graduate students given a grade of S (Satisfactory) are considered to be accomplishing work equivalent to at least a "B." You may see the Grading Policy at this link.

For further information:

Incomplete Grades

An incomplete "I" grade may be assigned at the instructor's discretion. The work done in the course must be of passing quality and the student must be in good standing. The student must first make arrangements with the instructor before the end of the course to get an incomplete. 

The course work is then completed before the last day of the following quarter, unless the instructor specifies an earlier date. Graduate students have one year to complete the work. Incomplete grades are removed online through the AIS grade roster. Click on the Change Grades link, select the new grade and the grade change reason, enter the date the coursework was complete, and click submit. Once a grade has been changed, "Success" will appear in the status column. The grade change is immediately available to students and permanently recorded in AIS.

 If a student does not remove an "I" by the deadline, it lapses to F or NP, depending on the grading option in effect.

Course Failure Verification

Each quarter, the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office contacts students who have been given either all F or W grades or a combination of both for the quarter/session they just completed. Financial Aid must ascertain whether or not the students received the grades as a result of non-attendance or failure to succeed academically. if the student earned all F grades, the professor must email their office (at to confirm that the student earned the failing grade by completing all course work, including the final. The professor's e-mail must identify the title of the course and confirm the student earned the failing grade by failing to achieve course objectives. The e-mail must be received within two weeks of the original notice to the student.

Back to top

Grade Changes

Grades may be changed and Incomplete grades removed online through the AIS grade roster. Click on the Change Grades link, select the new grade and the grade change reason, enter the date the coursework was complete, and click submit. Once a grade has been changed, "Success" will appear in the status column. The grade change is immediately available to students and permanently recorded in AIS.

Grade changes for personal reasons that warrant anything such as make up work, or retests, where an "I" has not been assigned, are strictly against policy and will not be approved by the Office of the Registrar.

Back to top

Academic Misconduct

All members of the UCSC academic community have an explicit responsibility to present as their original work only that which is truly their own. Cheating, plagiarism, and other forms of academic dishonesty are contrary to the ideals and purposes of a university and will not be tolerated. Faculty members have several obligations in the area of Academic Integrity:

  • Include in class syllabus a statement concerning academic dishonesty and the repercussions of cheating in the class.
  • Clearly inform students of the objectives and requirements of their courses.
  • Set the standards of scholarship.
  • Clarify those forms of collaboration that are acceptable and those that are not.
  • Set up your course to deter dishonest practices.
  • Act promptly on any instance of suspected or acknowledged acts of dishonesty.

If you suspect cheating in a course, it is your responsibility to try to establish the facts. In every case where you have established reasonable evidence of cheating, this information will be communicated to the College Provost. The Provost, in conjunction with the Academic Preceptor, will, based on the facts you have established, continue the disciplinary action with attention to due process.

A student who is found guilty of academic misconduct is subject to both academic sanctions and disciplinary sanctions. Disciplinary sanctions are determined by the Provost of the student’s college or, if the case reaches the Academic Tribunal, by the Tribunal. You, as the instructor of record, are responsible for determining and imposing academic sanctions.

The Procedure for Dealing with Academic Misconduct

1. Within ten (10) working days of learning of the problem, notify the student by emailing the student’s official UC Santa Cruz email address so that the situation is documented. Then refer the student to policy information at Encourage student to read this information.

2. Set up a meeting with the student to discuss the particulars of the situation. The meeting should take place within ten (10) working days of the initial notification. Listen to student's version, but if convinced that there was cheating, fill out this Academic Misconduct Form. The student needs to fill out the "Student Comments" portion of the form and sign it. (See #3 below).

**If the student fails to respond to your initial email within ten (10) working days, or if the student fails to attend the meeting, then you should note this on the Academic Misconduct Form and submit the form along with all supporting evidence electronically to the provost of the student’s college within three (3) working days. Failure by the student to respond is taken as prima facie admission of academic misconduct.

3. Student can opt to check either "I am responsible for this misconduct" or “I am not responsible for this misconduct”. Checking "I am not responsible for this misconduct" requires the student to fill in their version of the situation in the comment section.

4. On the form you will propose academic sanctions. Per the UCSC Student Policies and Regulations Handbook section 105.15 one or more of the following sanctions may be imposed for academic misconduct:

a.  no credit or reduced credit for academic work in question

b. failing grade or reduced final grade for the course or “No Pass” for the course

c. narrative notation or revision (optional)

d. retaking of examination or resubmission of assignment

e. exclusion from course

f. other academic sanctions deemed appropriate to the misconduct (report any academic sanctions to the conduct office to enable documentation of repeat offenders)

5. Electronically submit the form and supporting evidence to the provost of the student’s college within five (5) working days of meeting with the student. If the student is not affiliated with one of the residential colleges, the form should be submitted to the chair of the Council of Provosts. Keep copies of the form and the examples of the academic dishonesty. Provide the Department's Undergraduate Advisor with a copy of the form.

6. Assignment of a final grade and (optional) submission of a narrative evaluation should occur at the normal time. Grades should take into account the academic sanction. Grade changes may still take place at the discretion of the faculty member and at the conclusion of the disciplinary process.

The instructor may also request on the Academic Misconduct Form the  “preservation of grade” as a disciplinary sanction. In this case, dropped classes may be restored, and W grades may be changed to a grade reflecting the academic sanctions. Medical withdraw from the course, even before the sixth week, following the process and documentation requirements of the Committee on Educational Policy has precedence over “preservation of grade”.

Back to top

Student Evaluation of Instructors and Teaching Assistants

During the last week of instruction students evaluate the performances of instructors and teaching assistants. An email request generated through eCommons will inform students that the Instructor Evaluations are ready to be filled out online. Reminder emails will generate automatically every two days until the evaluation is completed, or until the evaluation closes. Please remind students during the last week of class to fill out the Instructor Evaluation online.

Currently, the Mathematics Department provides the T.A. Student Evaluation forms, however this may eventually change to online evaluations. During the last week of instruction, you will be alerted by email that the T.A. Student Evaluation packets are in your mailbox. You must assign one proctor for each evaluation and write down the student's name and contact information. Please read the instructions and allow 15 minutes of class time for students to complete the form. The student proctor will collect and return all evaluations, in the provided envelope, to the Mathematics Office. If our office does not receive a sufficient number of T.A. Student Evaluations from students, you must make a second attempt (even at the final exam) to gather student input.

Instructors and Teaching Assistants are not permitted to review evaluations until grades have been submitted. Instructors may view evaluation results by logging into Div Data and selecting the Courses Taught tab. Teaching Assistants may view evaluation results in the Mathematics Office.

Back to top


Online Course and Project Creation Tool - Canvas and eCommons


The new UCSC Learning Management System, Canvas, is now available. Faculty who are teaching in spring may log in and begin adding content to their pre-created course shells. Faculty who wish to work on courses for future quarters or experiment with Canvas can request a test course. If you have difficulty accessing Canvas or finding your courses for spring, email For more information at Canvas at UCSC visit

Faculty have options to teach in Canvas right away or continue using eCommons, our legacy LMS, through winter 2018 for undergraduate courses that already have materials in that system. New courses and graduate-level courses should be hosted in Canvas.

Go to the Canvas service page and the Canvas FAQ page for important information on accessing the system, how to use the system, how course materials can be migrated, training opportunities, and how to get support 24x7. 


eCommons is being replaced as UCSC's primary online teaching tool. To access the system and tutorials, you need your CruzID Gold password.

You can learn on your own or register for an eCommons workshop.

Note: Non-academic staff will need to request account access through Service Now ticket system.

Back to top

Homework Pick-up

There is a lateral Homework File Cabinet on the first floor. Students can leave their homework for pick-up by the Instructor or TA in the file folder labeled for the class. The cabinet cannot be used to return student homework. The cabinet is considered a public space, and leaving graded material there is a violation of FERPA law. Further information regarding FERPA can be found here:

It is best to schedule time for returning homework to students in class or section.

Back to top

Textbooks and Desk Copies

Instructors, graders, and teaching assistants can check out desk copies of the books for their courses from the Mathematics Department Office. Desk copies must be returned at the end of each quarter. During each quarter you will receive a memo regarding book orders for the course you will be teaching the following quarter.

Back to top

Distributing Course Materials

Please use class time, a folder on your office door, or another satisfactory arrangement to distribute course materials. The Mathematics Department Office does not have the staffing to offer this service to faculty. Also remember that student grades, sections, and ID numbers are considered confidential information, as detailed in this handbook, and may not be posted (in part or in full) in any public space.

Back to top

Library Reserves

Changes were made to the library's electronic reserve system in 2010-11. Information may be found here.

The Mathematics Department textbook coordinator can put an extra copy of your course textbook on reserve at the Science Library for the quarter. Students can check out books for two hours, one day, or three days depending on the class. If you have additional materials to place on reserve in the Science Library, contact Christy Caldwell at 9-1287 or You need to sign a copyright compliance form each quarter for every class that you teach (available at the library or in the Department Office).

Back to top

David Kirk Media Center Bookings and Reserves

The David Kirk Media Center offers booking and reserve services to faculty and their proxies. You can put items on reserve (for your students to view in the media center) or you can book items to be checked out on a certain date (faculty and their proxies only). This can be done in person, by phone at 9-4508, or via email.

Back to top

Web Services - Resources to Design Your Own Website

Information Technology Services helps faculty develop their own course web site and personal pages. Once you have completed your page(s), the Department can create links from the department's web site to your pages.

Back to top

Learning Technologies

Learning Technologies supports all media activities in general assignment classrooms. Classrooms are designed to be self-service and as intuitive as possible. You may look up information about a paticular room including size and media set-up at this link.

The quickest way to get help with all Learning Technologies Services is to contact the ITS Help Desk. The Help Desk will immediately route your request to a team of staff members, who will assist you as soon as possible. 

Back to top

Disability Resource Center (DRC) and Student Accommodations—Spring 2013 New Process!

The DRC recommends incorporating information about student accommodations in your course syllabus, website, and class announcements to ensure that requests for authorized accommodations are received in a timely manner. PBSci Testing Support has coordinated with DRC to receive testing accommodation authorizations directly. Sample text:

     "If you qualify for classroom accommodations because of a disability, please get an Accommodation Authorization from the Disability Resource Center (DRC) and submit it to PBSci Testing Support within the first two weeks of the quarter. Contact DRC at 459-2089 (voice), 459-4806 (TTY), or for more information on the requirements and/or process."

Students will be told to arrange their testing accommodations directly with PBSci Testing Support. Students will still need to discuss their DRC needs with instructors, but faculty will not need to provide their accommodation information to PBSci Testing Support.

PBSci Testing Support needs the following from instructors:

• Complete the PBSci Testing Request Form as soon as possible for each course that you will be teaching, even if you currently do not have any DRC students present on your roster.

• Exam Schedule: Send the schedule for any timed and graded course activity - midterms, quizzes, labs, and final.

• Instructor and/or TA Contact Information: Students at the remote testing site must have the same access to an instructor or TA as those taking the on-site exam. Please provide contact information for either the instructor or TA during the exam.

Testing Accommodations

Google Calendar is used to schedule exam accommodations for students. Students will receive a Google email confirming their accommodations including the time and place of their exam. Instructors also receive a confirmation email with the date, time, room number, and the list of students who have been invited to the exam.

Please coordinate exam drop off and pick up with PBSci Testing Support. Their office is located in JBEB Room 147, upstairs from Printing Services where many exams are duplicated. While PBSci Testing Support will no longer print exams, PDFs may be securely sent to: 

If you have any questions about DRC accommodation requests, please contact Peter Phan (9-3493, in PBSci.

To encourage students to state their needs for accommodation in a timely manner, the DRC now requires its clients to submit their Accommodation Authorization forms to faculty no later than 7 business days prior to an exam. Every effort should be made to accommodate late requests; however they should be rare and provide advance notice for the need for accommodations for subsequent exams. Please consider the needs of DRC clients when changing exam times or adding a quiz. Please contact the DRC or Peter Phan if you have any questions or concerns about the accommodation or timeframe.

The DRC website provides comprehensive information on the law, accommodations, process, and services:

Back to top

Disability Resource Center Instructor Handbook

UCSC as a campus is dedicated to ensuring that all students have an equal opportunity to succeed and thrive academically. This handbook provides information about the legal basis and history of disability rights to contextualize “why” we do this work and to understand the evolving landscape of equal opportunity. It also outlines the shared responsibilities of students, instructors, and the institution in the accommodations process (i.e., the “how”). The final section of the handbook outlines our understanding and approach to various disabilities, specific accommodations, where to go for additional information, and resources so you can “go deeper” into topical areas to increase your understanding of what it means to serve particular populations of  students with disabilities. 

The DRC Instructor Handbook is found Here.

Back to top

Disciplinary Communication (DC) Requirement

The new Disciplinary Communication (DC) general education requirement will replace the "W" requirement for students enrolling at UCSC fall quarter 2009, and after. Students will be required to acquire ten credits in writing-intensive classes appropriate to their academic major during their junior or senior year. Students must satisfy this requirement within their major.

Students majoring in Mathematics will satisfy this requirement through the completion of Math 100 "Introduction to Proofs" and either Math 194 "Senior Seminar" or 195 "Senior Thesis."

In Math 100, students will be required to produce at least 8 pages of typed written work. This work must consist of assignments no shorter than 2 pages each. Students should receive feedback on their first paper during the first 5 weeks of the quarter. In Math 194, students will be required to produce at least 10 pages of written mathematical work and give a related presentation, focused on a single topic or theme. During the first half of the quarter, students will settle on a topic and will receive feedback from the instructor on a partial draft or partial presentation. In Math 195, the completed project is satisfied by 15-20 pages and is to be turned in by the last day of instruction. Lower page totals are possible if the student gives an oral presentation. Students involved in a thesis project will be held to a high standard of academic writing. Written work will be typed, using integrated academic English and Mathematics.

Back to top

Room Scheduling for Seminars, Review Sessions or Other Events

If you want to hold a seminar, review session or other meeting outside of scheduled class time, you can request a room through the Department's Classroom Reservation Form. Please make a request at least 1-2 weeks before your session if you wish a McHenry Building Room and 2-3 week's notice is required for booking a room through the Registrar's office. Space on campus is limited. It is helpful if you choose several possible time slots that will work. It is easier to schedule review sessions outside the prime times (9:00 am - 4:00 pm, Monday through Thursday).

Back to top


Teaching Assistants (TAs) are fully enrolled graduate students who lead discussion, laboratory, and quiz sections under the direction and supervision of a regular faculty member.

Beginning in Fall 2005, the "Notification of Teaching Assistant Duties" form is mandatory. All faculty who supervise a TA must review this form with their teaching assistant(s), both parties must sign, and the form is returned to the Graduate Advisor in the Department Office. These forms are then available for faculty review in time to prepare a performance evaluation for the TA at the conclusion of the quarter. Blank forms are available from the Graduate Advisor and are on the web (TA Notification of Duties & Evaluation forms).

Duties and Responsibilities (Graduate Division TA Handbook)

A TA is not responsible for the instructional content of a course, for selection of student assignments, for planning or administering of examinations, for determining students' final grades, or for writing narrative evaluations. These are the responsibilities of the instructor.

In the Mathematics Department, Teaching Assistants are required to attend both campus and Department training sessions and can expect the following duties:

  • The TAs of the entry-level Mathematics courses are expected to lead 3-4 sections, write solutions, hold 3 office hours, and assist with grading midterms and finals. In addition, TAs may be expected to do a portion of the grading for the course (the details of these arrangements will be worked out during the first week of each quarter).
  • The TAs of some of the sophomore level courses (#21-99) are required to grade some of the homework for the course in addition to leading 2-3 sections, writing solutions, holding 3 office hours, and assisting with grading midterms and finals.
  • The TAs of all upper-division courses (#>100) are required to grade some of the homework for the course in addition to leading 1-2 sections, writing solutions, holding 3-6 office hours, and assisting with grading midterms and finals.

The homework grading is flexible and is dependent upon the number of sections, midterms, and other expectations a faculty member may have, i.e., writing up solution sets, attending the lecture. Appointments are made at 50% time, which amounts to an assigned workload of 220 hours for the quarter.

All Teaching Assistants at UCSC are union members and their positions are covered by the collective bargaining agreements between the Regents of the University of California and the Association of Student Employees, International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America (UAW), AFL-CIO. The contract includes a negotiated grievance procedure to handle employee complaints, including cases of sexual harassment and discrimination. The grievance procedure includes binding third-party arbitration.

Back to top

Undergraduate Assistants

Undergraduate students take Math 188 (Supervised Teaching) to gain experience in teaching mathematics in the classroom. Students either assist in a section of a lower-level mathematics class at UCSC or assist a mathematics teacher at a local high school. They also do assignments on teaching-related topics. See below for more information.

Back to top


The Department has limited funds available to hire undergraduate Readers to assist faculty members in evaluating papers and examinations and recording homework scores. The Department recruits and reviews Reader applications and their mathematics performance record; however, the final approval for hiring rests with the instructor. Since Fall 2004, we have not been funded to hire Readers for Math 2, Math 3, Math 11A, Math 11B, Math 19A, 19B, and 22. These courses use grading software to alleviate some of the workload of grading homework. Beginning Fall 2013, only Chair selected upper division courses will be allocated a limited number of hours for homework grading. Jen Correia will notify the instructors that have graders as well as their hours. Please make sure your graders stay within the allocation.

In most cases, TAs are the Readers' contacts for receiving and returning homework. Homework solutions are provided to the graders by either the instructor of the course or the TA(s). Faculty assign the Readers to their TAs; usually, each TA is responsible for two sections and utilizes the services of one Reader. However, make sure that papers are distributed among Readers in a manner that is fair and reasonable. Readers are paid by the hour. For example, a Reader allocated 30 hours for the quarter should spend about 3 hours per week grading papers. It is important that Readers do not exceed their allocation since this may result in their not being rehired. If your Readers have problems or questions that you cannot resolve, please make sure that they contact Jen Correia in the Mathematics Office.

The Department Office hires Readers at the beginning of every quarter. It is imperative that your Readers contact you immediately and find out whether they will get the work from you or from a TA. They should then set up a schedule for picking up their work and adhere to it. Designated homework drop-off file drawers are located in McHenry Library, 1st floor outside classroom 1240.

Readers are expected to grade homework and return it to students in a timely manner--the sooner, the better. If students get their homework back while it is fresh in their minds, the feedback is more meaningful. Competent record keeping is essential for this job since homework scores are used to determine the students' grades. It is good policy to have the Reader give you or your TA an updated record of the homework grades after each new assignment is graded and recorded.

Rehire of Readers is contingent on your rating of their performance. The Department Office distributes evaluation forms for Readers at the end of each quarter. Timely completion of these evaluations is helpful when considering whether or not to rehire a Reader or to hire a student as a Tutor.

Mathematics Readers can play a very active role in the education process. The Reader gives students written concrete feedback about the students' performances and understanding of the course material. The enthusiasm and energy of the Reader can help set the mood of the course. The students tend to match, with their effort on the homework, the effort the Reader makes in grading and writing comments. Improved homework leads to improved scores on exams, and higher grades in the course. The grading forum is an educational tool that should not be taken lightly.

Back to top


Instructors and Teaching Assistants may offer students the option of dropping off homework in the lateral filing cabinet located on the first floor of McHenry, across from room 1240. Graded homework must be returned either in class or in sections, but cannot be returned to the same cabinet. The cabinet is considered a public space, and leaving graded work there is a violation of FERPA law. More information and resources regarding FERPA can be found here.

Back to top

Point Grading and Comment Suggestions for Readers

Your readers should ask you and your TA what point scales are appropriate on various assignments. Discuss where they will get the solution sets (from you, from the TA, or from a book). Advise them to be consistent in the grading, and clarify before they begin grading that "this much of the answer" will get so many points, "this much more" will receive so many more points, and so forth. When they subtract points, they must indicate what mistake the student made, so that the student learns from the error and is not discouraged by the loss of points.

Readers should mark the student's score on the front of the paper along with the total number of points possible on the assignment (e.g., 80/100). A general positive or constructive comment next to this total score can be uplifting (e.g., "Nice work - Keep it Up!" or "Try to talk to the TA about the integration by parts—the TA should be able to clear it up!").

Suggest that your readers explain their thoughts to the students on paper just as they would if they were tutoring students in person. Readers have already taken the classes they are grading for, so they are familiar with the types of comments that are helpful. Their comments need to be supportive and constructive whenever possible. They should also make sure they are commenting on good work as well as on mistakes, and pointing out when a student has completed a problem in an innovative or clever way.

It is tempting for Readers in calculus classes to simply check that the final answers are correct; however, the text often includes the answers, so merely checking the answers may not suffice. Readers need to look at the process and grade on the method students used to come up with their answers. Reassure your Readers that, with practice, this becomes almost as fast as just checking the final answers.

If Readers need a text or solutions manual, they can come to the Mathematics Office, McHenry Building 4111, and talk with the Department Assistant who handles textbooks. They will need to check out the book(s) for the quarter and check them back in when they return them at the end of the quarter.

Back to top


Readers must submit their hours through the CruzPay system. Instructors approve the hours online. Since hours used to be submitted by paper, this was a good time for the instructor to meet with the Readers. Making a point to communicate with the Readers is beneficial. Sometimes grading assignments need to be adjusted so that the Readers can fulfill their grading duties but stay within their time allocation.

Back to top


Drop-in Tutoring

Learning Support Services (LSS) hires mathematics majors and/or graduate students to provide tutorial assistance for groups of students in lower division mathematics courses. Each quarter, flyers are posted around the department building indicating the Drop-In Tutoring hours which are held in McHenry Building 1279. Sessions are usually scheduled Tuesday through Thursday, 4:00 - 8:00 pm.

Back to top

Academic Excellence Program (ACE)

The Academic Excellence Program (ACE) aims to increase the diversity of students receiving bachelor's degrees in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). ACE provides discussion sections in entry-level mathematics and calculus, general and organic chemistry, general biology, and calculus-based physics.

ACE focuses on helping students excel in introductory science and mathematics courses by providing a structured workshop setting where students learn by teaching each other. ACE sections are limited to 20 students. A professional section leader with an academic background in the subject facilitates each workshop, assisted by an undergraduate who has excelled in the course. This brings the student:teacher ratio to 10:1. Students also meet with a peer mentor who helps them strengthen their study techniques and their understanding of the course material. ACE also coordinates exam reviews, study groups, and career counseling.

Applications to participate in ACE are available each quarter in Baskin 199. If you have any questions about ACE, contact Director Nancy Cox-Konopelski, 9-5283 or

Back to top

Modified Supplemental Instruction (MSI)

Modified Supplemental Instruction (MSI) represents a partnership between an academic department and Learning Support Services. In Mathematics (begun in fall 2002), MSI aims to enhance students' learning opportunities and success rates in Math 2 and Math 3, and to increase their ability to pursue majors in mathematics, physical and biological sciences, engineering, economics, and psychology.

MSI employs undergraduates to hold traditional discussion sections and facilitate peer-learning groups for students in Math 2 and Math 3. The ratio of students to undergraduate leaders in these sections is approximately 12:1. In academic year 2002-2003, for instance, Math 2 and 3 students who participated in MSI-guided problem-solving sessions did better in class on average than students who did not attend these sessions.

MSI also uses in-depth analytical data from Mathematics Placement Test results to adjust the focus of the Math 2 and Math 3 curricula so that those courses more effectively address entering students' mathematics preparation. MSI then evaluates Math 2 and Math 3 attendance and grade records, student evaluation surveys, and pre- and post-test data to judge the effectiveness of the revised large-lecture format and the peer-learning sessions.

For more information about MSI, contact Chris Herzon, Director, Learning Support Services, 9-3460.

Back to top


Instructor Initiated Grade Change and Request for Grade Notation FORMS ARE NO LONGER USED EXCEPT IN RARE INSTANCES a/o Dec. 2012. Faculty may now go into their grade roster in AIS to change incomplete grades. Once you login to your grade roster for your course, you will see a link to 'change grades' at the top right hand side of the roster; click that link and you will be able to change the grades for the course. If an incomplete reverts to an F at the end of the quarter, a form will probably be required to make a grade change.

IMPORTANT: The Registrar cannot accept Instructor Initiated Change of Grade forms, Removal of Incomplete forms and Request for Grade Notation forms directly from students; these must come from faculty/administration. 

 For grade change explanation, see Grade Changes.

Credit by Petition

Under certain conditions, students can petition to receive course credit by completing an appropriate body of work. The instructor's signature on the Credit by Petition (CBP) form indicates your willingness to administer an examination or to review the student's course work. The signature of the chair, provost or dean verifies that the faculty member signing as instructor is a regular instructor in the course and that the course is appropriate for the awarding of credit by the credit by petition process. The provost or preceptor's signature certifies that the work involved represents a reasonable program of study for the student.

Students must be registered and enrolled in the quarter in which they file the Credit by Petition (CBP). The examination or course work must be administered by a regular instructor of the course. Teaching Assistants are not eligible to sponsor Credit by Petitions. The requirements for the CBP may consist of a paper, project, test, or any form of course work the instructor requires. The credit appears on the transcript under the quarter the petition is filed. Certain courses may not be taken by petition.

The Credit by Petition (CBP) may not be used to avoid paying registration fees for a quarter or Summer Session, or to receive credit for a course a student audits while not registered at UCSC (SCR 6.7.1 through 8).

Back to top

Add by Petition

After the third-week enrollment deadline has passed, a student can still add a class by petition. The student must go to the Office of the Registrar to obtain an Add by Petition form. The form requires at least two signatures, including the instructor and Undergraduate Advisor. Check the Academic and Administrative Calendar or the current Schedule of Classes for the deadline.

Back to top

Petition for Removal of Grade I - Incomplete

A student may request an Incomplete when he or she is unable to take the final exam or complete course work due in the last week of classes. It is your responsibility to decide whether an Incomplete is appropriate and what work the student must complete to receive credit. The student's current work must be of non-failing quality (D or better) to receive an incomplete grade.

It is the student's responsibility to initiate the process to remove an Incomplete. After the work is complete, the student goes to the Registrar's Office to get the Removal of Grade I paperwork. The student pays a $10.00 fee, and the Registrar's Office stamps the date and time on the form. Check for this stamp before signing. Once you have signed the form, the student must not carry it! You must turn it into the Mathematics Office.Undergraduates have until the last day of the following quarter to remove the Incomplete. The deadline is listed in the schedule of classes for that quarter. After that deadline, the grade changes into an "F" or an "NP."

Graduate students have a year to make up an "I." A student who receives an "F" must either retake the course or appeal the deadline to the Registrar. Do not use a "Request For Grade Notation" or an "Instructor Initiated Change of Grade" to give the student a grade after the Incomplete deadline has passed.

Back to top

Enrollment Adjustment Petition

Undergraduates can make changes to their enrollments after certain posted deadlines using the Enrollment Adjustment Petition. For example, a student can now appeal for a late Add By Petition, a late Withdrawal grade, or a late Drop/Never Attended. Students can use this petition during one term of their undergraduate careers. Approval of the petition is at the discretion of the instructor, the department, the student's college, and the Registrar's Office.

Back to top

Independent Studies (Courses 188, 195, and 199)

Courses 188, 195, and 199 are the Individual Studies options in the undergraduate program in Mathematics at UCSC. These are upper division courses in which a student petitions, via the Individual Study form, to work directly with faculty. In signing the form, an instructor agrees to sponsor the studies. The Independent Studies forms should be completed by both the faculty sponsor and the student. The student receives the course call number, which is specific to the sponsoring instructor, directly from the Undergraduate Advisor. Completed forms are taken to the Mathematics Advisor who also signs as the Department's designee (McHenry Building, Room 4147).

Math 188: Supervised Teaching

In this course, the student may request to be an Undergraduate Teaching Assistant, usually for College Algebra for Calculus (Math 2) or Precalculus (Math 3). The student is required to attend the course, hold two sections per week, keep a journal of the experience, attend a weekly meeting with the professor and other 188 TAs, perhaps read some assignments, and write a paper at the conclusion of the quarter. The requirements must be specified by the course instructor, agreed upon between the instructor and the student, and noted on the individual studies form when the instructor signs.

The Undergraduate Vice Chair is an excellent resource if you need information about what is expected of the student and the instructor in Math 188. Also, Frank Bäuerle has been supervising Math 188 students for years with great success. He has an excellent format that includes undergraduates in the graduate TA training in each quarter.

The alternate option for Math 188 is for the student to find a placement in a local high school mathematics classroom, with UCSC mathematics faculty sponsorship. We have an established program, the California Teach Program (CalTeach). Selected students have a placement arranged for them. Math 188 is a requirement for the Mathematics Education track. Many students wishing to become high school mathematics teachers prefer the high school placement. The CalTeach program runs for two quarters beginning in winter. (Please note that the new CalTeach program is making changes in their curriculum and requirements frequently). Visit their pages to locate up to date information on the program. It provides students the classroom hours required to enter a credential program; seminar time to share, reflect, and discuss teaching experiences; and a quarterly stipend.

Math 195: Senior Thesis

UCSC has a comprehensive requirement for the major, which students can satisfy in one of two ways: either by taking Math 194, Senior Seminar, which meets as a class, or by taking Math 195, in which a student writes a thesis as an individual study. Typically, only ladder faculty sponsor senior theses as they may require multiple quarters that exceed the duration of a visiting faculty member's tenure at UCSC. In Math 194, each student writes a short paper and presents it, whereas in Math 195 the paper goes into greater depth. Math 195 is usually chosen by a student who has initiated research on a topic of their interest in course 199 (see below). The terms of a senior thesis are agreed upon and stipulated on the individual studies form.

Math 199: Tutorial

Students who want to do individual research in a topic not usually offered within the mathematics curriculum may seek out faculty conducting research in the same area to sponsor them. We recommend that students approach faculty at least one quarter before enrolling in such research to discuss the topic, references and resources, options, and the process. Visiting faculty often have specialized interests that students appreciate and the individual study creates valuable mentor-student relationships between faculty and undergraduates. Faculty generally spend an average of two hours per week with the student and the student works 6-8 hours per week independently on their project for a 5-credit individual study. Students and faculty should discuss the estimated number of hours and the description of the intended research and state them on the Individual Studies form.

Back to top

Graduate Independent Studies

Graduate students must complete an Independent Study Request form, secure the instructors approval signature and return it to the Graduate Coordinator's mail box. The Coordinator will issue the code via e-mail to the graduate student and copy the instructor.

top of page